Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tomorrow really is a new day.

Tomorrow I end my long academic career at the University of CA! It will be a momentous day - Graduation Day, as I have thought of it for these many months since I made the decision to DO IT - to go on to the next adventure.

Actually, it feels like my life has been pacing itself in a predictable gestation period - I'm in my second trimester. The first was being a girl, a young bride, a mother.  Then I entered the second phase, the "I want a career" phase. That phase ended my marriage. It was a killer, that frame of time . So many lessons to learn that I should have already mastered, one would think, at that point of life. When I was thirty-something.

Going out on my own, trying to have it all, do it all, was harrowing at times. But I managed, as we all do, by just staying the course, even if  I wished I could go back - retrace my steps, and step back into the life I left behind. But - I had my career, and adventures and managed to keep the things that matter most. I feel so blessed - family, friends, a decent relationship with the Ex, a second marriage even. And still married this time, by gosh.

So, into the third trimester I go, a little heavier, thinking about botox and skin peels and hell, a whole face-lift would be good at this point. Full of plans I wouldn't have thought possible when I was that young bride, pregnant then with number one child, now expecting to have time to nurture my loved ones, and myself. I don't know what the future holds, or what the ultimate human experience - my total story arc - will produce. I don't know what I will deliver by the end of my lying-in on this planet, but I do pray it will be worthy.

And I hope by then,  my "late trimester" labor pains will produce a really good novel!!! Maybe, by starting this whole "I want to be a writer" phase at this time of my life, I'll really have something to write about!!

6 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous post as an ending and a new beginning. Stepping into a new phase of life at this point is a joy. I know you will succeed with your writing. You are so close. Congratulations. Celebration time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cora. I'm headed out to the barn to write a couple of lines - every word counts, so I'm told! And what better muses than two horses and two goats? Oh, and here's a terrific Haiku for us all:
      (5,7,5, btw)

      A Goat blocks the road
      Everything but butterflies
      Comes to a standstill

      Delete
  2. You guys and your damn poetry. :) La, la, la, just going about, spouting poetry like its nothing, coming fully formed out of your mind. I don't get it.Beautiful post, like a little jewel. How lucky for you to have such an exciting third act ahead of you, brimming with possibilities.
    Hugs and kisses,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Michele. That's funny that you think poetry pops out la la la! I wish a novel would pop out la la la! Lol. But it's great to have you and our critique group to help, inspire and keep the story straight!
    I think I'm going to enjoy this third act.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, You are on your way. Take each day as it comes and it sounds like you're going to have the time of you life. enjoy every moment..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Annie. So nice to have a new friend in the wind!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete